Friday, February 24, 2012

Wedding Invitations

 
So, this week I decided to highlight my wedding invitations.  The invitations were all handmade, mostly by myself, with a few little helpers.  I got most of my supplies from Roberts whom I just adore, but no longer is in business.  I got most of them at various sales throughout the year, so they didn't cost me as much as they look like they cost me :)  I got an idea from my friends Sarah and Kirstin to do hand stamped letterpress invitations.  I found a letterpress that would fit into my cuttlebug that I already owned called L Letterpress.  Then, Kirstin and I designed various templates that we sent out to New York City to get made into my custom plates.  The plates are plastic, and they adhere to the letterpress.  Each plate costs $40, but the plates can be cut, so you can put lots of objects on one plate.  Kirstin did a fantastic job with this.  Next came the learning how to use letterpress and stamping.  When it said that you only needed a little ink..... they mean A LITTLE INK!  I learned this the hard way and me and the Clorox company became business partners as I used a lot of Clorox wipes to clean the plates off... again.... and again.... and again.  (It was the only thing that would take the ink off!)  The punch around the edges is a Martha Stewart punch that my mother-in-law had used before, and I knew it would be perfect for my invitations.  Then I added some lovely twine to the invitation, a maple leaf cut from my Cricuit, and my favorite... a little wooden button!  There is a stamp on the invitations that was custom made (another blog post to follow).  Inside the invitations were a map and driving directions as well as a response card and where we were registered along with our cute picture provided by Kirstin Roper.  I believe that they turned out better than I had ever imagined them.  However, I do believe that I learned a lesson here, my cards are fantastic in small supply, not quantity and demand!  So, unless you are family, I don't think that I will be making any more wedding invitations in the near future as over 300 of these babies took quite a while to make.  Cutting, punching, stamping, drying, gluing, tying, embellishing, and putting together took a process that I don't even know what kind of hours we could calculate.  Again, another DIY project of love that my family and friends came together on for our wedding.  Jordon said I was crazy for making all of the invitation, but I loved do it, as I am a card lady, who knew that handmade wedding invitations would make the difference for our wedding.  Although I do not really believe that anyone saved their invitation, I would hope that it is framed somewhere in someones house, as I loved making them for everyone.  (It will soon be framed in our house!)  A huge thanks to my Mother and Mother-in-Law for sending these babies out and putting them together, my mother and sisters for finding the cute envelopes, my sister in law Sable for puting "b & j" on the little maple leafs, my Mother in Law and Father in Law for making those cute buttons, my Mother in Law for helping me punch the edges on the invitations, and my whole family for helping me pick out our wedding photo that we all loved!  Pictures courtesy of Kirstin Roper.  
Invitation set (minus the gorgeous brown envelopes).


Invitation


Invitation


Wedding Photo :)

The reply cards are not included in these pictures, becasuse I wanted to save that for another blog post, as my darling Husband filled out one for himself and sent in to be counted towards the wedding... another day, another time.  Enjoy!
xoxo Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment